Digging through the archive of handouts and seminar presentations, I thought I’d post the notes from one of the roundtables I participated in.
What is a freelance writer?
- An independent contractor “for hire”
- A savvy business owner
- Has great “time-management” skills
- Knows what they are worth
- Has realistic expectations and goals
- A qualified individual performing a service
- An “expert” in their field
How do I promote myself?
- Establish your identity
- Follow-up emails and thank yous
- Be professional
- Avoid “flame wars”
- Distinguish yourself from fans
- Network through social media
- Use proper “grammar” (avoid L33t or LOL-speak)
- Non-Gaming Seminars
- Business groups
- Community organizations
- “Best” Time to talk to publishers
- Dos and Donts of what to say
- Portfolio/Resume or not to Portfolio
How do I find work?
- Develop your Own criteria
- What will you accept as payment?
- What do you want to write?
- Who do you want to work for?
- Be realistic based on experience